- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 100 g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 leeks
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sticks celery
- 1.2 ltr vegetable stock
- 600 ml milk
- 300 g arborio risotto rice
- 350 ml white wine
- 60 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 4 large eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
- salad leaves
- balsamic dressing
1. Melt half the butter in a large saucepan with the olive oil.
2. Slice the leeks lengthways, then wash them thoroughly and chop finely. Add the onion, garlic, celery and leeks to the melted butter and oil.
3. Allow the vegetables to sweat gently over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. While the vegetables are cooking, place the stock and milk in a separate saucepan over a low heat.
5. Add the rice to the vegetables and increase the heat to medium-high.
6. Stir for 2 minutes, then add the white wine. Add the hot stock and milk mixture to the rice, a ladleful at a time, over 20 minutes, making sure each ladleful is absorbed before adding the next. Stir occasionally until the rice is cooked but still firm to the bite.
7. Remove the pan from the heat and add two-thirds of the Parmesan and the remaining butter, stirring vigorously.
8. Preheat the grill to high.
9. Spoon the risotto onto four heatproof serving plates and create a well in the centre of each portion. Crack an egg into each well and dust with the remaining Parmesan and pepper. Place under the preheated grill for about 3 minutes, until the eggs are cooked to a soft yolk.
10. Serve with a salad of mixed green leaves tossed in a balsamic dressing.
Rate This Recipe