- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 350 g Carnaroli risotto rice
- 2 litres chicken stock, or turkey stock, hot
- 12 cooked chestnuts, peeled and roughly chopped
- 6 amaretti biscuits
- 2-3 tbsp chopped mustard fruit, with their syrup
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly grated parmigiano reggiano, (optional)
1. Fry the onion and half the butter together until the onion is softened but not browned. Add all the rice and toast the grains thoroughly for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent them browning.
2. When the rice is crackling with the heat, add 3 ladles of stock and stir through. Add the chestnuts and stir again. Keep stirring and adding the stock whenever the spoon opens up a clear wake behind it as it is drawn through the centre of the cooking risotto.
3. After about 10 minutes, add the crumbled amaretti and stir again. Continue to cook as before until the rice is cooked through, firm to the bite without a trace of chalkiness.
4. Remove from the heat and add another ladleful of stock, the remaining butter, the mustard fruits and their syrup and the cheese, if using.
5. Cover with a lid and rest for 4 minutes, then stir again and transfer to a warmed platter or individual warmed soup plates.
6. To serve: garnish with a sprinkling of chopped flat leaf parsley and a little spoonful of mustard fruits and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe