- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time:
- Effort: easy
For the mousse
- 4 aubergines
- 4 sheets leaf gelatine
- 300 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 red onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 300 ml full-fat crème fraîche
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 2 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 egg whites
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the relish
- 400 g pitted black olives
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tinned anchovies
- 4 tbsp olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Cut the aubergines in half, place on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes or so, until soft. Remove from the oven and cool.
3. Soak the gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes, until softened.
4. Heat the stock and add the soaked gelatine. Stir until dissolved, and leave to cool.
5. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the onions for 5 minutes, until they are very soft and transparent.
6. Add the garlic, and fry for 2-3 minutes more; cool.
7. Peel the skin from the aubergines and put the flesh into a food processor.
8. Add the onions and garlic and whiz to a paste.
9. Add the cold gelatine stock and whiz to combine.
10. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Leave for 30 minutes or so, until the mixture is beginning to set, then stir in the crème fraiche and lemon juice.
11. Add the chopped parsley.
12. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff. With a large metal spoon, fold them quickly and thoroughly through the aubergine mixture. Pour into a serving bowl and leave to set.
13. To make the relish, put the olives, garlic and anchovy into a food processor and whiz to a paste.
14. Slowly add the olive oil. Season to taste with pepper and serve in bowls to accompany the aubergine mousse.
Rate This Recipe