- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.5 kg ribs of beef
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 300 g carrots, chopped
- 300 g celery, sliced
- 600 g Maris Piper potatoes, peeled and halved
- few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 75cl red wine
1. Preheat the oven to 230°C/gas 8.
2. Prepare the beef by brushing it all over with the mustard then sprinkling with salt.
3. Put the carrots, celery, potatoes and thyme into the bottom of a roasting pan and place the beef on top.
4. Place the roasting pan in the oven and cook for 15 minutes before reducing the temperature to 160°C/gas 3 and cook for a further 45 minutes.
5. After 30 minutes, pour the red wine into bottom of pan. Put the roasting pan back in the oven and leave the beef to finish cooking.
6. When ready, remove the beef from the pan and allow to rest for ten minutes before serving. Reserve the pan juices to make Red Wine Gravy (see Red Wine Gravy recipe).
Rate This Recipe