- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 3 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pork
- 2 kg pork belly
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 lemon, juice only
For the gooseberry sauce
- 500 g gooseberries
- 100 g demerara sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 150 ml water
- 1 punnet mustard cress
1. For the pork: preheat the oven to 240C/gas 9.
2. Score the skin of the pork, drizzle with lemon juice and cover with a very generous amount of salt. This will help to ensure really crisp crackling.
3. Put the sliced potatoes into a pile on a baking tray and sit the pork belly on top. Cook in the oven until golden brown and crackled (about 20 minutes.)
4. Turn down the oven to 140C/gas 1 and cook the pork for 3 hours, or until the flesh is juicy and tender. Rest the meat for 10 minutes before carving.
5. For the gooseberry sauce: put the gooseberries in a saucepan with the cinnamon stick, sugar and the water. Stew on a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes, until the gooseberries soften (but don't let them break up and go too mushy).
6. To serve: serve the pork with the potatoes, gooseberry sauce and some mustard cress.
Rate This Recipe