- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- 1 chicken
- 1/2 bunch of tarragon
- 4 sprigs rosemary, roughly chopped
- 100 g unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 whole head garlic, separated into cloves
- 10 bay leaves
- 4 tsp sea salt
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into wedges
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 5 small shallots, unpeeled but cut in half
- 160 ml extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of cracked freshly ground white pepper
- sourdough bread, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Rinse the chicken under cold water. Trim away excess fat from inside and outside cavity, but keep neck, parson's nose and winglets intact. Tuck wing tips under chicken. Place the chicken in a roasting tin, breast-side up.
3. Place the tarragon and half the rosemary inside cavity of chicken.
4. Using your hands, carefully separate the skin from the meat over the breast and thighs of the chicken. Place the butter between the skin and the meat, spreading it evenly under the skin.
5. Lightly crush unpeeled garlic cloves and scatter over chicken with bay leaves, sea salt and remaining rosemary.
6. Place carrots, sweet potatoes, potatoes and shallots around chicken, then drizzle with oil and sprinkle with pepper.
7. Cover the roasting tin with kitchen foil and roast for 35 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven and reduce the temperature to 180°C/gas 4.
9. Take off the foil and roast for a further 20 minutes, or until chicken is just cooked through and vegetables are tender. To test chicken, insert a skewer into the thigh and press against the meat - it is cooked when the juices run clear. The skin should be crisp and lightly browned.
10. Remove the chicken from oven, cover with foil and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
11. Remove the roast chicken from tin and serve with the roast vegetables and some crusty sourdough bread.
Rate This Recipe