- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.25 hours 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- a handful of fresh herbs, such as parsley, rosemary, thyme or oregano, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt, we recommend Maldon sea salt
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 chicken, approximately 1.5kg, at room temperature
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, halved horizontally
- a glass of white wine, or madeira
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas mark 7. Combine the chopped herbs, salt, lemon zest and olive oil, and season well with pepper. Rub this all over the chicken.
2. Put the garlic in the cavity and place in a roasting tray in the oven. Cook for 15 minutes, then lower the heat to 190C/170C fan/gas mark 5 and cook for a further 45 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and put on a board to rest. Place the roasting tin on the hob over a high heat and add the wine. Simmer, scraping up all the juices from the pan, until a little reduced.
4. Carve the bird and serve with the pan juices and sides of your choice.
Recipe from Maldon sea salt.
Rate This Recipe