- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 10 sage leaves, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only, finely chopped
- 1 heads garlic, split into cloves and chopped
- black pepper
- 1 guinea fowl, halved
- 1 chicken, quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 potatoes, peeled and cut into 4cm chunks
- 100 ml extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6
2. Combine the sage, rosemary and garlic. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well.
3. Make several 2.5cm cuts in the birds and stuff the herb mixture into the cuts.
4. Put the vegetables into a large terracotta baking dish and pour over half the olive oil. Mix and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
5. Lay the birds on top of the vegetables and drizzle with the remaining oil.
6. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, then baste the birds with the cooking juices and turn them over. Cook for a further 15 - 25 minutes.
7. To check if the meat is cooked, pierce each bird with a skewer - when the juices run clear they are ready.
8. Remove the birds from the dish and joint each one into eight pieces.
9. Replace on top of the vegetables and return to the oven for 5 minutes
10. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for 20 minutes before serving - this relaxes the meat, letting it become more tender.
11. Serve with potatoes and vegetables from the dish.
Rate This Recipe