- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the artichokes
- 4 large globe artichokes
- 1 lemon, halved
For the chicken
- 1 x 1.5 kg chicken
- 200 ml olive oil
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1 small bunches rosemary, leaves picked and half chopped
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
For the bread sauce
- 800 ml milk
- 300 ml double cream
- 1 onion, peeled, halved and half finely diced
- 8 cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp chopped thyme, leaves only
- 25 g unsalted butter
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 250 g white bread, crusts removed, chopped into cubes
1. For the artichokes: preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. With a sharp knife, cut the stalk off of the artichoke, close to the base. Discard. Peel the dark outer leaves away from the outside of the artichoke, then slice off the top, leaving a 4cm base.
3. Trim the outside around the base, cutting away most of the green part. Rub the exposed parts of the artichoke as you work, to prevent browning. Using a spoon, scrape out the fuzzy choke in the centre. Quarter the artichokes and leave to soak in a bowl of cold water mixed with the juice of half a lemon.
4. For the chicken: put the chicken into a roasting tray and rub the outside and cavity of the chicken with the olive oil. Squeeze the lemon juice over the chicken and inside the cavity, then place the squeezed halves inside the cavity, along with the chopped rosemary.
5. Season the outside and inside of the chicken with the salt and pepper, then add the artichoke pieces to the roasting tray with the chicken. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, then reduce the temperature of the oven to 170C/gas 3.
6. Roast for a further 30 minutes, then cut the chicken where the legs join the body and insert the remaining sprigs of rosemary and roast for a further 10-15 minutes, or until the chicken is golden-brown and cooked through.
7. For the bread sauce: put the milk and cream into a saucepan. Spike the onion half with the cloves and place into the pan with the milk, along with the peppercorns, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a simmer and leave to infuse for 15 minutes.
8. Melt the butter in frying pan over a low heat, then add the chopped onion and garlic. Lightly fry for 3-4 minutes, or until softened but not coloured.
9. Strain the milk through a fine sieve and discard the solids. Pour back into the saucepan and bring to a simmer, then season with salt. Add the bread cubes and stir, then simmer gently for ten minutes, or until the bread is softened and falling apart.
10. To serve, carve the chicken and pile onto a plate. Serve with the roasted artichokes, and pour over the bread sauce.
Rate This Recipe