- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus 10 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- 1.6 kg chicken
- olive oil, for baking
For the chilli stuffing
- 3 large handfuls coriander
- 50 g desiccated coconut
- 4 long green chillies, seeds removed and coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 limes, juice only
- 2 tsp brown sugar
For the coconut gravy
- 1 tbsp green curry paste
- 250 ml light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- roast potatoes
- steamed Asian greens
1. For the chilli stuffing: put the coriander, coconut, chilli, garlic and ginger into a food processor and process until finely chopped.
2. Stir in the lime juice and brown sugar and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
3. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
4. Rinse the chicken and pat it dry.
5. With your fingers, carefully loosen the skin over the breast of the chicken and down to the thigh area. Put half the stuffing under the skin, spreading it to cover the breast and thighs. Put the remaining stuffing inside the cavity of the chicken.
6. Tie the legs together with string.
7. Put the chicken, breast side up, in a large roasting tin, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
8. Roast the chicken for 20 minutes, then reduce the temperature to 200C/gas 6 and roast for another 40-50 minutes or until juices run clear. Rest for 10 minutes before carving, reserving the juices for the gravy.
9. For the coconut gravy: heat a small saucepan over a medium heat, add the curry paste and cook, stirring for 2 minutes until fragrant.
10. Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, pan juices from the roasting tin, the fish sauce and brown sugar.
11. Carve the chicken onto plates with a little of the stuffing and serve with roast potatoes and steamed Asian greens. Pour over the coconut gravy.
Rate This Recipe