- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the roast chicken
- 1 large free range chicken, (approx 1.5kg)
- 1 whole preserved lemons
- 1 bunch basil
- 3 bay leaves
- drizzle, extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bulbs garlic, cut in half horizontally
- 8-10 slices baguettes, toasted
For the baby leek salad
- 12 baby leeks, blanched
- 8 slices wafer thin iberico ham
- 1 bunch radishes, halved lengthways, leaves left on
- 1 celery heart, yellow leaves picked, stalk thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 bunch pea shoots
For the lemon dressing
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 splash milk
Tips and Suggestions
Iberico ham is a flavoursome, cured, Spanish ham. If unavailable, you could use another cured Spanish ham or Parma ham.
11. For the roast chicken: preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2. Stuff the chicken with the whole preserved lemon, basil and bay leaves. Season the chicken inside and out with salt and freshly ground black pepper, rub with olive oil and place in a roasting tin.
3. Arrange the garlic around the chicken, drizzle with a little more olive oil, and roast in the oven, basting regularly, for 1-1½ hours, or until completely cooked through. (To check if the chicken is cooked, insert a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh - if the juices run clear, it is done. If the juices are tinged with pink, return the chicken to the oven for a further 10 minutes then test again.)
4. Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside to rest in a warm place for 15 minutes.
5. For the baby leek salad: gently toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
6. For the lemon dressing: stir all the dressing ingredients together with enough milk to give a pouring consistency.
7. When ready to serve, remove the roasted garlic from the chicken pan and the preserved lemon from the cavity of the chicken.
8. Spread the soft, roasted garlic over the toasted baguette. Finely chop some of the preserved lemon and scatter over the garlic toast. Warm in the oven for a few minutes whilst you carve the chicken.
9. Serve the roast chicken with the garlic toasts and the juices from the roasting tin. Drizzle the lemon dressing over the baby leek salad and serve alongside.
Rate This Recipe