- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes plus resting
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 chicken, weighing about 1.3kg
- 2 onions, chopped
- olive oil
- black pepper
- bread sauce
- crisp Roast potatoes
- Vichy carrots
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4.
2. Tuck the lemon halves inside the chicken. Scatter the onions over the base of a roasting pan in which the chicken will fit snugly.
3. Place the chicken in the pan. Smear all over with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, rubbing it into the skin well.
4. Turn the chicken on its side so the leg is uppermost and roast for 30 minutes. Turn onto the other side and roast for a further 30 minutes.
5. Turn the chicken breast side up and cook for 25-30 minutes more, or until the juices run clear when the thickest part of the leg is pierced with a skewer.
6. Transfer to a warmed serving dish and leave to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes before carving.
7. Serve the chicken with Bread Sauce, Crisp Roast Potatoes and Carrots Vichy.
Rate This Recipe