- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 kg duck, whole
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 2 tbsp clear honey
For the smoked garlic crisps
- 4 smokedcloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 100 ml milk
- vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
For the salad
- 120 g broad beans, lightly blanched
- 50 g spinach leaves
- 1/2 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juice only
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 rashers bacon
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Remove the legs and breasts from the duck. Season the legs with salt and pepper. and place in a roasting tin. Roast for about 45 minutes, until golden brown and crisp.
2. For the garlic crisps, place the garlic slivers in 50ml of the milk and simmer for 30 seconds. Drain away the milk, and repeat the process with the remaining 50ml of milk.
3. Drain again, pat dry, and shallow-fry the garlic slivers in hot vegetable oil until golden. This doesn't take long - about 30 seconds or so.
4. Season the duck breasts and fry, skin side down, on a hot dry griddle until golden - about 5 minutes. Turn over and sear the other side.
5. Add the honey and thyme and simmer until lightly glazed. Continue cooking until the duck is tender - another 5 minutes. Remove from pan and leave to rest.
6. When ready to serve, arrange the broad beans, spinach, mango and shallot on a plate. Combine the lemon juice, vinegar and olive oil and drizzle over the salad. Top with a piece of duck. Scatter over the fried garlic, and serve with mashed sweet potato and crumbled crisp-fried bacon.
Rate This Recipe