- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 2 lamb fillets, each 280g
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- black pepper
- 2 lamb's kidneys, in fat
- 225 g plums
- 1 onion, chopped
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 85 g unrefined brown sugar
- g baby capers
- 30 g butter
- 2 shallots, thinly chopped
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 150 ml thickened jus
- 1 tbsp grain mustard
- 1 tbsp parsley, thinly chopped
- fondant potatoes, to serve
1. Set the oven to 220°C/gas 7. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry them for 2-3 minutes to seal. Season the lamb fillets with salt and freshly ground black pepper and put them into the oven to roast for 8-10 minutes, until pink.
2. Trim the kidneys of excess fat and roast them with the lamb.
3. Remove them from the oven and allow to rest.
4. Meanwhile clean and stone the plums and cut into small dice.
5. Put half of the plums into a small saucepan with the onion, vinegar, salt and sugar and gently simmer until vinegar starts to disappear.
6. Add the rest of the plums and slowly cook until they start to collapse.
7. Add the capers and check the seasoning.
8. In a separate pan melt the butter and gently cook the shallots until softened but not coloured.
9. Add dry white wine and reduce down to one third.
10. Add thickened jus and bring to the boil.
11. Remove from the heat and stir in the mustard, mix in and check the seasoning again.
12. Add chopped parsley.
13. Cut the lamb into 6 medallions per fillet.
14. Use 3 slices per portion, cut the kidneys in half.
15. Put the meat and kidney on a plate with some chutney and spoon the sauce around. Serve with fondant potatoes.
Rate This Recipe