- Serves: 6-8
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus resting time
- Effort: easy
For the lamb
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb
- 4 tbsp lard or oil
For the mint sauce
- bunches mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 150 ml malt vinegar
- 150 ml white wine vinegar
1. For the lamb: preheat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Trim the lamb and remove the aitch bone (pelvic bone). Clean the knuckle and tie the joint together with string.
3. Heat the fat in a roasting tray and colour the lamb on all sides. Season well with salt and pepper, then transfer to the oven.
4. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C/gas 4 and roast for another 1 hour 10 minutes, basting with the fat frequently. Leave to rest in a warm place for 20 minutes before carving.
5. For the mint sauce: mix all the ingredients and leave to stand to let the flavours mingle.
6. Serve the lamb with roast potatoes, braised cabbage and the mint sauce.
Rate This Recipe