- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.1666666666666667 hours 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 15 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- a 1.8kg chicken, free-range, ideally with wishbone removed for easier carving
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 bunch of lemon thyme, , chopped (a sprig reserved)
- coarse sea salt
- 100 g arborio risotto rice
- 1 shallot, chopped
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 120 ml white wine
- 100 ml chicken stock
1. Preheat the oven to 190ºC/Gas 5.
2. Mix the lemon thyme into 115g of softened butter, along with plenty of coarse sea salt.
3. Spread this thyme mixture under the skin of the chicken, concentrating on the breast.
4. Heat the remaining butter in a small, heavy-based saucepan. Fry the shallot and sprig of thyme gently for 5 minutes until the shallot has softened.
5. Add the rice and lemon zest, mixing well.
6. Add the lemon juice, white wine and stock. Bring to the boil and cook briskly for 2 minutes.
7. Remove the lemon risotto from the heat and spoon into the chicken cavity. Truss the chicken legs together to hold the stuffing in and place in a roasting tray.
8. Roast the chicken for 1 hour, until cooked through. Check by inserting a skewer into the thickest part of the leg. If the juices run clear the chicken is cooked.
9. Remove the chicken from the oven, cover with foil and rest for 15 minutes before serving.
Rate This Recipe