- Serves: 4-6
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the gnocchi
- 600 g King Edward potatoes
- 150 g 00 Italian '00' flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 100 g parmesan
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp truffle oil
For the fish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- knob of butter
- 1 whole medium monkfish tail, on the bone
- freshly ground salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 40 ml sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp crushed black pepper
- 20 ml soy sauce
- 50 ml Chinese white rice vinegar, or Mirin
- 20 ml black bean sauce
- 40 ml oyster sauce
For the mushrooms
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 g mushrooms
- 100 g sun-dried tomatoes
- 100 g baby spinach or spinach
1. To make the gnocchi, peel the potatoes, cut them into chunks and boil until soft. Drain and mash.
2. Tip the potatoes out onto a clean work surface and place flour around mash creating a little mountain.
3. Add the egg yolk, cheese, salt and pepper, olive oil and truffle oil. Start to work the mixture slowly together until it forms a smooth potato dough.
4. Roll the dough into a long sausage with a diameter of about 1.5 cm and cut into lengths of about 5cm long. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.
5. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil and cook the gnocchi for 1-2 minutes, until they rise to the top of the pan and float. Drain gently and leave to cool.
6. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Heat the olive oil and butter together in a saucepan and fry the monkfish for 2-3 minutes, until firm. Season with salt and white pepper and transfer to the oven. Roast for 5 minutes, until cooked through.
7. Heat the sesame oil until almost smoking, add the sesame seeds and toast them until golden brown
8. Stir in the black pepper, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Simmer for 30 seconds or so.
9. Stir in the black bean sauce and oyster sauce and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat.
10. For the mushrooms, heat the oil in a frying pan or wok and stir-fry the mushrooms until soft and all the liquid has completely evaporated.
11. Stir in the gnocchi and toss gently to mix. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until the gnocchi are golden brown.
12. Spoon the gnocchi onto a heated serving plate. Top with the fish and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe