- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 Savoy cabbage, shredded
- 50 g butter
- 2 partridges, regular size
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 200 ml chicken stock
- 325 ml red wine
- 200 g piecestreaky bacon, chopped into lardons
- olive oil, for frying
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 100baby g onions, peeled
- 100 ml jellied beef stock
1. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Add the shredded cabbage and cook for 1 minute. Drain and refresh under cold running water, then set aside to cool and drain completely.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4. Heat half the butter in an ovenproof frying or roasting pan until it is foaming. Add the partridges and fry, turning as necessary, until they are golden. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
3. Pour the chicken stock and half the red wine into the pan, stirring to incorporate any caramelised cooking juices. Transfer to the oven and roast the birds for 15 minutes. When done, remove the birds from the oven and set aside to rest in a warm place for at least 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in another pan, fry 100g of the bacon in a little oil until it starts to colour. Add the chopped onion, celery, and carrot and cook, stirring, over a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Add the blanched cabbage, reduce the heat and cook for a further 10 minutes.
5. To make the sauce, fry the rest of the bacon in a saucepan with the shallot and the baby onions until lightly coloured. Add the rest of the red wine and the beef stock, plus any wine left in the pan in which you cooked the partridges. Bring to a boil and boil hard so that the sauce reduces by half in volume and becomes thick and glossy.
6. Stir the remaining butter into the wine sauce right at the end of cooking to give it a rich sheen.
7. To serve, pile the cabbage mixture onto serving plates, sit the partridges on top and surround with the sauce.
Rate This Recipe