- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the pheasant
- 2 x 175 g pheasant breasts
- 6 sage leaves
- 6 rashers smoked streaky bacon or pancetta
- dashes of olive oil
- 1 bunches watercress, to garnish
- salt and black pepper
For the potatoes
- 2 large cara potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1.2 litres chicken stock
For the cabbage
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 Savoy cabbage, sliced
- 1 tsp butter
- 3 sprigs thyme, leaves removed
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Take the pheasant breasts and loosen skin. Stuff the sage leaves underneath the skin.
2. Wrap the breast with the bacon. Season with black pepper and set aside.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut into 1cm thick slices. Slice the onion.
3. Butter an ovenproof dish and arrange the potatoes and onion in layers, seasoning as you go.
4. Boil the chicken stock until reduced by half. Pour the stock over the potatoes and cover with aluminium foil. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through - about 30 mins.
5. Heat a non-stick pan over a moderate heat and add a splash of olive oil. Fry the pheasant breasts on both sides until coloured, before transferring to the oven to cook alongside the potatoes. Leave the meat on one side to rest for 10 minutes.
6. Add a dash of water to a large saucepan set over a moderate heat. Add the minced garlic, cabbage and a knob of butter.
7. Season well and cover with lid. Cook on a high heat for 4-5 minutes before removing the lid and adding the thyme leaves.
8. Slice the pheasant breasts and serve with the cabbage and potatoes. Garnish with watercress and bring to the table.
Rate This Recipe