- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1 hour 50 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 10 mins resting
- Effort: medium
- 1 kg pork belly, (ideally Gloucester Old Spot)
- 450 g pig's liver, chopped
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 free-range eggs
- 200 g breadcrumbs
- 3 tbsp rosemary, freshly chopped
- 3 tbsp raisins
- 1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp ground mace
- 1 tbsp sugar
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
2. Lay out the belly pork and score the skin several times with a sharp knife. Turn over and lay out meat side up.
3. Make the stuffing by mixing the pigs' liver, cream, eggs, breadcrumbs, rosemary, raisins, nutmeg, mace and sugar. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
4. Spread the stuffing evenly over the pork belly.
5. Roll the pork belly carefully and tie to hold its shape.
6. Rub the scored skin with salt and place on a rack in a roasting tray.
7. Roast the pork in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 120°C/gas ½.
8. After 1-1½ hours, baste the skin with water and increase the heat to 180°C/gas 4.
9. Roast the pork for a further 10 minutes to crackle the skin.
10. Remove from the oven, cover and rest for 10 minutes before carving and serving.
Rate This Recipe