- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: medium
For the marinade
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
For the cabbage pesto
- 1 cabbage, leaves only
- 100 ml hot chicken stock
- 1/2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp pine kernels, toasted
- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
For the stuffed rabbit legs
- 1 Savoy cabbage, dark green leaves removed, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 60 g smoked bacon, cut into 5mm cubes
- 2 knobs butter
- 1 carrot, cut into 5mm cubes
- 1 quarter celeriac, cut into 5mm cubes
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 4 rabbit legs, thigh bone removed
1. For the marinade: in a bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
2. For the cabbage pesto: blanch the cabbage leaves in boiling chicken stock for about 4 minutes, or until the cabbage is very soft. Drain, then plunge the leaves into a large bowl of iced water. Squeeze out the excess water.
3. Put the leaves into a food processor with the rest of the pesto ingredients and blend until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. For the stuffed rabbit leg: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
5. Blanch the cabbage in boiling salted water for 1 minute, then drain and plunge into iced water to refresh. Squeeze out any excess water and set aside.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a frying pan and fry the bacon for 1 minute, then stir in a knob of butter, carrot, and celeriac and lightly fry for another 3-4 minutes. Add the cabbage and mix through, cooking for 1 minute before adding the crème fraîche. Pile the mixture onto a plate to cool.
7. Once the cabbage mixture has cooled, spoon into the rabbit legs and sew the open end closed with a large needle and string. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Heat an ovenproof frying pan with the rest of the olive oil and add the rabbit. Cook for 1 minute to brown one side, then flip over and add a knob of butter. Transfer to the oven to cook for 5-6 minutes.
9. Take the rabbit out of the oven and brush with the marinade. Put back into the oven and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until the rabbit is cooked but still slightly pink.
10. Remove the rabbit from the oven and leave to rest for a few minutes. Cut away the string and slice the legs in half.
11. To serve, place the legs on a plate and spoon the pesto around the side.
Rate This Recipe