- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 45 minutes plus 15 mins resting
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 300 g ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp chopped rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large chicken, about 2kg
- 185 g basmati rice
- 375 ml water
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 200 g pumpkin or butternut squash, roasted
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/gas 4.
2. Put the ricotta, cayenne pepper, lemon zest, half the rosemary and 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Gently push the ricotta mixture under the skin at the neck end of the chicken.
3. Put the chicken into a roasting pan and rub it all over with the remaining olive oil, then season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for about 1½ hours or until cooked.
4. Meanwhile, wash the rice three times, then put it in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add the water, the coriander seeds, remaining rosemary and the pumpkin or squash and bring to the boil.
5. Boil until the water has evaporated enough for you to see the rice, then cover and simmer for 6 minutes. Stir once, then cover and keep cooking for a further 6 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to rest, still covered, for 15 minutes.
6. To serve, transfer the rice to a large serving platter and put the chicken on top so that when you carve the chicken, the juices will be absorbed by the rice.
Rate This Recipe