- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the venison:
- olive oil
- 2 kg saddle of venison steaks
- 6 slices pancetta
- sprigs thyme
For the spiced redcurrant jelly
- 1.8 kg redcurrants
- 700 ml water
- pinches cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 450 g sugar
- 4 tbsp malt vinegar
- beef stock, and red wine, reduced
1. For the spiced redcurrant jelly: put the redcurrants in a saucepan with the water. Add the cloves and cinnamon, bring to the boil and reduce for about 10 minutes.
2. Using a ladle, strain the mixture through a muslin sieve - don't press the berries as this will make the jelly cloudy.
3. Add the sugar and vinegar and mix together. Heat to just above boiling point (104C on a sugar thermometer). Leave the mixture to cool then transfer into a sterilised jar.
4. For the venison: preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
5. Heat a little oil in a pan big enough to hold the venison and brown the meat on all sides.
6. Season the joint with salt and pepper and lay the strips of pancetta on top. Sprinkle the thyme leaves over the top and roast in the oven for 1 hour for medium rare meat, or a little longer if you like your meat well done.
7. Remove the joint from the oven and keep the pancetta to be served alongside. Leave to rest for about 30 minutes before slicing.
8. To serve: reduce a mixture of beef stock and red wine to serve with the venison and redcurrant jelly.
Rate This Recipe