- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1.2 kg winter squash, (e.g. onion squash, crown prince or pumpkin), cut into 3cm chunks
- 450 g firm ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, left whole and unpeeled
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 2 sprig thyme
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1.2 litres vegetable or chicken stock
- black pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly grated gruyère cheese, to serve
1. Pre-heat the oven to 220°C/gas 7. Put the squash, tomatoes, garlic, herbs and onion into a roasting pan.
2. Drizzle over the olive oil and turn the vegetables to coat well. Cook for 45 minutes, until the vegetables are tender, turning occasionally.
3. Remove the herb stalks and discard them. Transfer the vegetables to a blender, add the stock and whizz until the mixture is smooth. You may have to do this in two batches.
4. Pour the soup into a large pan and season to taste. Reheat just before serving and garnish with grated Gruyere.
Rate This Recipe