- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- 4 large Spanish or sweet onions, peeled
- black pepper
- 150 g spinach leaves
- 115 g ricotta cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp nutmeg, freshly grated
- 40 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 15 g butter, diced
- 25 g wild rocket, to serve
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling to serve
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Bring a pan of salted water to the boil. Add the onions and boil for 5 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
3. Meanwhile, rinse the spinach and place in a saucepan. Cover and cook the spinach for 3-4 minutes until softened. Cool, squeeze out excess water and chop.
4. In a mixing bowl mix together the ricotta, spinach, egg yolk, nutmeg and 20g of the Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
3. When the onions are cool, slice the top 1cm from the top and remove the middle of the onion with a small fork. Fill the onions with the ricotta mixture.
5. Sit the onions in a small roasting tin, sprinkle over the remaining Parmesan and dot with the butter. Roast for 15 minutes until the cheese is bubbling and golden brown.
6. Dress the rocket with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar and divide among 4 serving plates.
7. Serve each onion on a bed of rocket. Drizzle over a little extra olive oil and serve.
Rate This Recipe