- Serves: tuna serves 1; patties will serve 4-6
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the patties
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 x 400 g cans chickpeas
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 4 tbsp mint leaves
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
For the tuna
- 1 x 225 g tuna steaks
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 tsp unsalted butter
- 1-2 streaky bacon, smoked, cut into 1 cm pieces
- 1 tbsp capers
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp red wine
- 1 tsp thyme, leaves onlychopped
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. For the patties; heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chopped onion, garlic and carrots. Cover with a lid and cook gently for 2 minutes, until softened. Leave on one side.
3. Place the chickpeas in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles a coarse paste. You could also use a potato masher and break up the chickpeas in a bowl.
4. Add the chilli sauce, mint, egg and breadcrumbs, and fold into the mashed chickpeas.
5. Add the onion and carrot and stir well.
6. Using your hands, divide and shape the mixture into equal sized patties - about 3-4cm in diameter. Chill until required.
7. To heat, lightly oil a frying pan and cook the patties, in batches, for 6-8 minutes, until golden brown - turn occasionally while frying. While the patties are cooking, prepare the tuna.
8. Season the tuna with salt and pepper, then dust with the flour, shaking off any excess.
9. Heat the butter in an ovenproof frying pan, set over a moderate heat. Sear the fish for about 2 minutes on each side.
10. Add the bacon to the pan, and tip in the capers. Squeeze over the lemon juice and transfer the pan to the oven.
11. Bake the fish for about 10 minutes - the tuna should still be pink in the centre. Remove the fish from the pan and keep warm.
12. Return the same pan to the heat and add the red wine, chopped thyme and parsley. Cook down until the wine has almost evaporated. Pour these herby juices over the fish and serve straight away with the patties.
Rate This Recipe