- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
For the venison
- 1 x 180 g venison loin, fat and sinew removed
- 6baby onions
- 6-8 small button mushrooms
- 50 g lardons of bacon
- 1 sprigs thyme
- 1 sprigs rosemary
- 3 juniper berries
- 100 ml balsamic vinegar
- 250 ml game stock, or veal stock or beef stock
For the polenta cakes
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 700 ml water
- 1/2 tsp chopped garlic
- 350 g polenta
- 110 g butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp mascarpone
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- 1 pinches freshly grated nutmeg
- 50 g butter, for frying
1. To make the polenta cakes: bring the stock, water and garlic to the boil n a large pan. Pour in the polenta and cook for 25-30 minutes, stirring, until thick.
2. Stir in the butter, mascarpone and chives. Season with salt and pepper and the nutmeg.
3. Spread the mixture about 2cm thick onto a tray and leave to cool.
4. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 6.
5. Season the venison with salt and pepper.
6. Heat a frying pan, and when hot, add the seasoned venison and brown on all sides. Remove the venison from the pan
7. Tip the onions to the pan and cook until lightly browned.
8. Add the bacon, cook until lightly browned, and sprinkle in the mushrooms and fry until lightly browned.
9. Add the thyme, rosemary and juniper, followed by the balsamic vinegar. Cook down cook until reduced by three-quarters.
10. Pour in the stock and put the venison back into the pan on top of the vegetables.
11. Cook in the oven for 8 minutes, turning the venison halfway through - spooning over the cooking juices. Remove from the oven and leave to rest.
12. To cook the polenta cakes: cut out circles from the cooled set polenta using an 8cm cutter. Dust with flour
13. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the polenta cakes until golden brown
14. To serve: slice the venison and place on top of the polenta cakes. Spoon the onions, bacon lardons and mushrooms around and pour over any cooking juices.
Rate This Recipe