- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus cooling and 20 mins resting
- Effort: easy
- 2 venison fillets, each 400g
- black pepper
- 4 slices of Serrano ham
For the plum-chilli jam:
- 450 g Victoria plums, stoned
- 300 ml red wine
- 1 vanilla pod, slit lengthways
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- 1 tbsp freshly ground fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- grated zest of 1 oranges
- 4 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
1. Make the plum-chilli jam. In a heavy-based saucepan bring the plums, wine, vanilla, chilli, fennel, star anise, orange zest, sugar and vinegar to the boil.
2. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring now and then, until the mixture becomes thick and sticky. Leave to cool and discard the vanilla pod.
3. Preheat the oven to 240°C/gas 9.
4. Season the venison fillets with salt and freshly ground pepper. Wrap the venison fillets in the Serrano ham and seal in a very hot heavy-based frying pan until golden on all sides.
5. Transfer the pan-fried venison to a roasting tray. Roast the venison in the oven for 3-4 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Allow to rest in a warm place for 10 minutes.
6. Slice each venison fillet into six slices and serve with the plum compote.
Rate This Recipe