- Serves: 1
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 woodcock
- 2 rashers pancetta, or lardo, available from good Italian delicatessens
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 slices white bread, cut in a 4cm diameter circle
- 80 g foie gras, sliced
- 3 tbsp meat jus, available from delicatessens
- 1 tomato, skinned, seeds removed, diced
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- 3 sweet chestnuts, cooked, vacuum-packed
- 1 sprigs chervil, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 220C/gas 8. Wrap the bird in pancetta or lardo rashers, and season with salt and pepper. Heat an ovenproof casserole pan over a moderate heat and seal the bird for 2-3 minutes, without adding any extra fat.
2. Transfer the pan into the oven and roast the bird for about 7- 10 minutes, until crisp and succulent. Remove from the oven and leave to rest for about 5-8 minutes.
3. While the bird is in the oven, heat the olive oil in a frying pan and fry the bread until golden on both sides. Leave on one side.
4. Heat a separate non-stick pan, over a moderate heat, and cook the foie gras for about 2-3 minutes on each side before setting aside.
5. Gently warm the jus in a small pan, and add the chestnuts, parsley and tomato. Cook, over a low heat, for 2-3 minutes.
6. Put the fried bread on a plate and top with the foie gras slices. Arrange the woodcock on top and spoon the jus over the bird and around the plate. Garnish with chervil and serve.
Rate This Recipe