- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 18 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 20 mins standing time
- Effort: easy
For the patties
- 2 medium aubergines, finely chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 10 slices Neapolitan salami, shredded
- 1 pinches sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 75 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 30 g pecorino cheese, freshly grated
- 200 g mozzarella, cut into tiny cubes
- 300 g fine dry breadcrumbs
- 100 g pine kernels, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp basil, chopped, to garnish
For the roast tomatoes
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, preferably pomodorini
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinches fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the aubergine into a colander, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of salt over, and leave for 20 minutes. Squeeze dry.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on a medium heat and stir fry the aubergine until softened - about 3 minutes. Add the salami when the aubergine is nearly done.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and grease a baking sheet.
4. Tip the aubergine and salami into a large bowl and stir in the eggs, parmesan, pecorino, mozzarella, breadcrumbs, pine kernels and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 12 even walnut-sized balls and arrange on the baking sheet.
5. For the roast tomatoes, halve the cherry tomatoes, and arrange on a separate baking tray. Scatter the garlic over and drizzle with the honey and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
6. Cook the polpette on a shelf above the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. The tomatoes should roast in about the same time. Serve 3 patties and a scattering of roasted tomatoes for each person, with a little chopped basil sprinkled over.
Rate This Recipe