- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the stuffing
- 1 kg spinach leaves, picked and washed
- 250 g parmesan, grated
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg yolk
For the chicken
- 2 chicken
- 100 g butter
- chopped parsley
- chopped garlic
- 1 bunch thyme
- 1 bunch sage
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 16 jersey royal potatoes
- 150 ml olive oil
- 50 fl. oz. butter
- 1 sprig rosemary, finely chopped
1. Heat the oven to 220C/gas 7.
2. Cook the spinach in a small amount of boiling water for about a minute, drain thoroughly and squeeze out any excess water.
3. Chop finely and add to the parmesan and breadcrumbs, mix with the egg yolk to bind and season with salt and pepper. Wrap in a double layer of foil and reserve.
4. Rub the chickens all over with the butter and season generously with salt and pepper. Rub the chopped herbs and crushed garlic over the chickens, surround with the thyme, sage and lemon slices, drizzle with olive oil and wrap in foil, leaving an air pocket for steam.
5. Place the in a roasting tray and add just a small amount of water. This will allow the chicken to lightly steam and roast at the same time.
6. After the first 15 minutes of cooking turn the heat down to 180C/gas 4 and cook for another 30 minutes minutes. Remove the foil and roast for another 15 minutes, or until the juices run clear.
7. Bake the stuffing for 30 minutes in a separate tray at the same temperature as the chicken. You can put this in half way through.
8. Boil the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes until cooked, drain and cool slightly before cutting in half lengthways.
9. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan with a knob of butter and colour the potatoes until slightly crisp, about 4-5 minutes. Sprinkle with the finely chopped rosemary.
10. Cut the chicken in half (breast if you like), and serve with the potatoes and a spoonful of the stuffing.
Rate This Recipe