- Serves: 1-2
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 centre cut (450g) salmon, pin boned, but with skin on
- 1 red onion
- 1 white onion
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- few sprigs thyme
- 1 tbsp pine kernels
- 1 handfuls mixed leaves of lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 2 red peppers
- 50 g mozzarella
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
1. Dice the onions and butternut squash and place in a baking tin with half the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and thyme.
2. Roast for 30 minutes at 200C/gas 6 or until browned and soft.
3. While the vegetables are roasting, lightly toast the pine nuts in a dry frying pan. Take care not to burn them.
4. Remove the skin from the salmon by pressing the fillet skin-side down on a chopping board and running a very sharp knife under the skin parallel to the board.
5. 10 minutes before the squash is cooked, pre-heat a char grill or ribbed cast-iron pan and cook the salmon for a couple of minutes on each side to colour, then place under a hot grill to finish cooking.
6. Combine the salad leaves with the chopped avocado and red peppers and place around the edge of the plate.
7. Place the butternut squash mixture in the centre of the plate and add the roughly torn mozzarella on top. Sprinkle over the pine nuts.
8. Top with a salad dressing made from the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard and thyme, seasoned with a little salt and pepper.
Rate This Recipe