- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 60 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 200 g spinach leaves
- 80 g leaves basil
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- nutmeg, freshly grated
- 4 halibut steaks, each 180g
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 75 g sun-blushed tomatoes, (plus 75ml of the preserving oil)
- 2 lemons, zest removed and reserved, flesh cut into segments
- 2 tsp pine kernels, (or almonds)
- tbsp superfine capers
- 12 black olives, stoned
1. Set the oven to 200°C/gas 6.
2. Pour 30ml of the olive oil into a small saucepan over a medium heat and add the thinly sliced garlic. Cook for 30 seconds. Add the spinach and basil leaves, and cook for 2 minutes until wilted and tender. Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg, and keep warm.
3. Pour the remaining oil into an ovenproof frying pan and place over a moderate heat.
4. Season the halibut and add it to the pan. Fry for a minute to brown slightly and then place in the oven for 6-8 minutes to cook.
5. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small frying pan and when it turns brown, add the tomatoes, lemon zest, lemon segments, pine nuts, capers and olives and fry for 2 minutes. Add the preserved oil from the tomatoes; reduce the heat and leave to simmer for 2 minutes.
6. To serve, place the cooked spinach and basil on the plate, place the halibut on the top. Spoon over the brown butter dressing and serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe