- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 1.6666666666666667 hours 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the roast lemon chicken:
- 1 large chicken
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 head garlic, cut in half
- sprig fresh lemon thyme
- 100 g unsalted butter
For the caramelised chicory:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 g salt
- 500 ml water
- 10 g sugar
- 1 bouquet garni
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 4 whole chicory, bruised leaves removed
- 25 g butter
Tips and Suggestions
you can make your own bouquet garni by wrapping a celery stalk, parsley stalk, thyme sprig and bay leaf in an outer layer of leek and tying it with string.
1. For the roast lemon chicken: preheat the oven to 200C/Gas 6.
2. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and put ½ a lemon, the garlic and lemon thyme inside. Put into a roasting tray, smear its surface with the softened butter.
3. Roast in the oven, basting from time to time, until cooked. This should take 20 minutes per 500g, plus 20 minutes. When ready, the juices should run clear if you pierce the leg with the tip of a knife. Remove from the oven and leave to rest.
4. Deglaze the roasting pan with a little water and a squeeze of lemon juice.
5. For the caramelised chicory: while the chicken is roasting, sweat the onion in half the butter and salt in an ovenproof pan until soft, without allowing it to colour.
6. Add the water, sugar, chicken stock and bouquet garni. Stir and add the prepared chicory. Bring to the boil.
7. Cover with tin foil and put in the oven with the chicken for about 30 minutes, until tender and soft.
8. Remove from the oven and leave the chicory to cool on a rack. Once cool, cut the chicory in half. Heat the remaining butter in a frying pan, add the chicory and cook until caramelised.
9. Serve the caramalised chicory with the roast chicken and spoon over the chicken pan juices.
Rate This Recipe