- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes plus 2 hrs air-drying
- Effort: medium
For the spicy salt
- 1 tbsp chinese five spice
- 600 g salt
For the marinade
- 600 ml water
- 40 ml white wine vinegar
- 40 ml red wine vinegar
- 200 ml maltose
For the chicken
- 1 x 1.8 kg chicken
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
1. For the spicy salt: put the five spice and salt together in a dry wok and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, or until aromatic. Set aside in a bowl.
2. For the marinade: put all of the marinade ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. For the chicken: blanch the chicken in a wok of boiling water, and using a ladle, spoon the hot water over the chicken until the chicken begins to pale.
4. Rub the chicken cavity with two tablespoons of the spicy salt. Place the chicken into a large bowl and pour over the marinade. Leave to soak for five minutes, then hang the chicken up to air-dry for two hours.
5. Heat enough the vegetable oil in a deep pot or wok to cover half of the chicken. Carefully lower the chicken into the oil, then ladle the oil over the chicken constantly, to ensure even cooking, for ten minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the oil and leave to drain on kitchen paper. Discard the oil.
6. To serve, carve the chicken into pieces and garnish the plate with lemon slices and cinnamon sticks.
Rate This Recipe