- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes plus 12-24 hrs soaking
- Effort: medium
For the roasted marrow bones
- 8 veal, or beef marrow bones about 7.5 cm long
- vegetable oil
For the mustard lemon bread crumbs
- 40 g fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the parsley salad
- 150 g mixed flat leaf parsley, pale green celery and rocket leaves
- 1 tbsp finely diced shallots
- 2 tsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 slices rustic bread
1. Place the bones in a bowl of iced water to cover and add 2 tablespoons salt. Place in the fridge for 12-24 hours changing the water 4-6 times adding 2 more tablespoons salt to the water each time.
2. Preheat the oven to 230C/gas 8.
3. Drain the bones and pat dry. Stand them up in a lightly oiled roasting tin and roast for 15-25 minutes or until the marrow has puffed slightly and is warm in the centre. To test insert a metal skewer into the centre of the marrow bones then touch it to your wrist to see if it is warm. There should be no resistance when the skewer is inserted and a little of the marrow should have melted and started to leak from the bones.
4. To make the mustard lemon breadcrumbs: stir together the breadcrumbs, flat leaf parsley, dry mustard and lemon juice in a small bowl and add black pepper to taste. The crumbs should just hold together when squeezed, if not add a little more lemon juice.
5. Top each of the marrow bones with some of the mixture after the first 10 minutes of roasting.
6. While the bones are roasting prepare the parsley salad by placing the leaves, shallot and capers in a medium bowl.
7. Whisk together the oil and lemon juice in a small bowl then season very lightly with salt and generously with black pepper.
8. Toss the salad with the dressing.
9. Toast the bread.
10. To serve: divide the bones among the plates with the parsley salad. Each diner scoops out the marrow and spreads it on the toast and sprinkles with the salt.
Rate This Recipe