- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 4 small granary crusty bread rolls
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 10baby onions, peeled and left whole
- 2 red onions, quartered vertically
- 4 small leeks, cut into chunks
- 8 clove garlic, halved vertically
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 2 sprig thyme
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 100 g rolled goats' cheese, liced into 4 rounds
- black pepper
- handful of snipped chives, to garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 140°C/gas 1.
2. Slice the top from the rolls and scoop out the middle. Brush inside and out with olive oil. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. Cover with a clean cloth to keep them warm.
3. Raise the oven temperature to 200°C/gas 6.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large roasting tray. Add the baby onions, red onions, leeks, garlic cloves and herb sprigs. Season with salt and pepper. Stir well to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining oil.
5. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn and roast for another 15 minutes or until nicely browned and caramelised.
6. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar.
7. Place a slice of goats' cheese in the bottom of the hollowed-out rolls. Spoon the onion mixture over the cheese.
8. Garnish with chives and serve at once.
Rate This Recipe