- Serves: makes 500ml
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus 20 min cooling
- Effort: easy
- 6 red peppers
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 scant paprika, (plain)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp toasted almonds
- 4 tbsp chopped coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/220C fan/Gas 9. Rinse the peppers and pat dry. Place them on a baking tray and roast for 15-20 minutes or until the skins are blistered and blackened. Remove the peppers from the oven and cover with a tea-towel or put in a plastic bag to sweat. This will make it much easier to remove the skins later. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small pan and sizzle the garlic and both types of paprika for a few seconds ' this helps bring out their flavour. Place this mixture in a food processor or blender.
3. Remove the skins and seeds from the peppers, saving the juices if you can. Place the flesh and any reserved juices in the food processor or blender with the garlic and paprika mixture. Add the almonds and coriander. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and purée until smooth. The pesto will keep in a covered container in the fridge for a week.
Rate This Recipe