- Serves: 2
- Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 1 very small (about 500g) pumpkin, top cut off and reserved, and seeds scooped out
- olive oil
For the filling
- 150 g smoked haddock fillets, skin on
- 150 g cod fillets, skin on
- 600 ml milk
- 2 cloves garlic, halved and centres removed
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1 large Desirée potatoes, peeled, cut into large dice
- 1 sprigs chervil, (kept in cold water)
For the hollandaise sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp warm water
- 200 ml melted clarified butter
- pinch cayenne pepper
- squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh tarragon, chopped
1. To make the pumpkin: Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
2. Rub olive oil all over the pumpkin, and pumpkin lid; season well with salt and pepper.
3. Put the top on the pumpkin and place on a baking tray. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the flesh is soft. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. To make the hollandaise sauce: place the egg yolks, white wine vinegar, water, in a bowl over simmering water. Whisk until the mixture forms a thick ribbon, and then remove the bowl from the heat.
5. Add the clarified butter, whisking continuously until the butter is absorbed and the mixture becomes thick. Season with salt and pepper; add the cayenne pepper, lemon juice and tarragon. Keep warm.
6. To make the pumpkin filling: place the milk in a medium pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat to simmering. Add the cod and haddock to the pan and poach for 5-6 minutes until cooked; do not overcook. Remove the fish and flake the flesh, discarding the skin. Place the fish in a dish, cover with cling film and keep warm.
7. Infuse the garlic in the cream and gently heat until warm.
8. Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until soft. Drain, place back in the cooking pan and dry out over a low heat. Add some of the milk used to cook the fish and beat until smooth. Remove the garlic from the cream and discard. Stir the garlic infused cream into the potatoes and season to taste with salt and pepper.
9. To serve: place the potato purée in the bottom of the warm pumpkin. Place the flaked fish on top of the potato Spoon over the hollandaise sauce and replace the pumpkin lid on top on at an angle. Garnish with a chervil sprig and serve straight away.
Rate This Recipe