- Serves: 6
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 500 g tomatoes
- 8 small shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- sea salt
- 1 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 Costeno Amarillo chillies
- 0.5 lemons, grated rind and juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 tsp Piloncillo ordark brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3. Cut the tomatoes into quarters and place in a roasting tin.
2. Peel the shallots and garlic and add to the tin. Sprinkle with sea salt and roast in the oven for about an hour or until the tomatoes are beginning to dry, taking care not to let them burn.
3. Leave the tomatoes to cool, peel off the skins and chop the flesh finely. Place in a bowl.
4. Remove the outer of toughened skin from the shallots and garlic, roughly chop the flesh and add to the bowl.
5. Stir in half of the rosemary.
6. Soak the chillies in hot water for about 10 minutes, until soft. Drain and remove the stalks. Scrape out the seeds and chop the flesh, then add this to the bowl and stir well.
7. Stir in the lemon rind and juice, the olive oil and the Piloncillo (or sugar if using).
8. Chill until ready to use, then garnish with the remaining chopped rosemary and serve with tortilla chips.
Rate This Recipe