- Serves: Makes 2 loaves
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 45 minutes plus proving and chilling
- Effort: medium
- 250 g strong bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 ml olive oil
- 15 g yeast
- 150 ml warm water
- 75 g black olives, pitted and chopped
- 35 g onions, chopped
- handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- good quality chutney, to serve
For the filling:
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 1 aubergine
- 1 courgette, cut into chunks
- 2 red peppers, cut into thick strips
- olive oil, for coating
- salt, and freshly ground pepper
- 24 capers, drained
- 1 ball of mozzarella, sliced
1. Put the flour into a large bowl and add in the salt and olive oil.
2. Dilute the yeast in a little warm water and add to the mixture.
3. Slowly add the warm water, mixing it in with your hands until the dough becomes pliable.
4. Tip the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5 minutes.
5. Return the dough to the rinsed-out, dried bowl, cover and leave for 1 hour in a warm place.
6. Divide the dough into 2 pieces and divide half the olives, onion and coriander between each piece of dough.
7. Mould each dough portion into a round shape and press down firmly. Sprinkle each lightly with flour and mark a cross in each one, then put them on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
8. Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
9. Bake the loaves for 30 minutes until golden brown, then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
10. While the loaves are cooling, toss the aubergine, onion, courgette and red pepper in olive oil in a roasting tray. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
11. Roast the vegetables in olive oil for 30 minutes, turning now and then, then set aside.
12. Cut the top off each loaf and scoop the middle out.
13. Fill each hollowed-out loaf with a layer of aubergine, then sprinkle 12 capers over each loaf. Top each loaf with a layer of red pepper, then mozzarella, then courgette and onion.
14. Place the lid back on top of the loaf and place in the fridge for 3 hours at least or preferably overnight.
15. Cut into slices and serve with a good quality chutney.
Rate This Recipe