- Serves: 4
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 8 tinned anchovies
- 6 clove garlic
- 15 g oregano, leaves only
- 12 juniper berries
- salt, and freshly ground black pepper
- 2.5 kg leg of lamb, boned
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 150 g butter
- 380 ml white wine
1. Set the oven to 220°C/gas 8. Blend or pound the anchovies, garlic, oregano and juniper with plenty of black pepper. And beat the paste into the butter.
2. Smear 2/3 of the flavoured butter onto the inside of the lamb and tie with kitchen string to secure.
3. Smear the remaining butter over the joint.
4. Place the onions in the bottom of a roasting pan and put the lamb on top. Pour the wine around the pan and roast for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat and cook for a further 40 minutes.
5. Rest under foil for 10-15 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, strain the juice and remove the excess fat. The juices should be very flavoursome.
Rate This Recipe