- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: medium
- 30 g whole blanched almonds
- 30 g blanched toasted hazelnuts
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 thick slice stale white bread
- 350 g vine tomatoes, skinned and seeded
- ½ red chillies, seeded and very finely chopped
- black pepper
- 2 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 4 tbsp fino sherry
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas 2.
2. Place the nuts on a baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 20 minutes until golden.
3. Heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil with the garlic in a frying pan. When hot, remove the garlic from the pan and set aside.
4. Add the bread to the same pan and fry until it turns a nut-brown on both sides. Set aside.
5. Add the rest of the oil to the pan and when hot, stir in the tomatoes, chilli and seasoning. Cook the sauce down until thick and jam-like, stirring from time to time to prevent sticking. Leave to cool.
6. Tip the toasted nuts into a large mortar and pound with a pestle until fine. Add the fried bread and garlic to the nuts and continue grinding to a thick paste.
7. Spoon in the cooled tomato sauce followed by the vinegar and sherry. Stir to mix and serve straight from the mortar.
Rate This Recipe