- Serves: Makes 1.5 litres
- Cook Time:
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 1 litres milk
- 350 g sugar
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 12 large egg yolks
- 300 ml dark rum
1. Pour the milk into a saucepan and stir in the sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
2. Add the cinnamon stick.
3. Place the pan over a moderate heat and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring constantly. Immediately pour the mixture into a bowl and cool to room temperature.
4. Remove the cinnamon stick, squeezing it gently to release any liquid.
5. Put the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and whisk until the mixture is very thick and pale.
6. Add the whisked yolks to the milk mixture a little at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Return the mixture to a clean pan, place over a low heat and cook until the mixture thickens enough to leave a trail along the back of the spoon when a finger is drawn along it.
8. Stir in the rum, pour into sterilised bottles and seal tightly. Refrigerate until required.
9. Serve the rompope very cold. It will keep for up to one week in the fridge.
Rate This Recipe