- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: hard
- 50 g unsalted butter
- 60 g parmesan, freshly grated
- 25 g plain flour
- 300 ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50 g roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 25 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6. Melt 15g of the butter in a small pan or in the microwave and use to grease 8 x 120ml ramekins. Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan cheese to lightly coat the bottom and sides, then shake out the excess. Arrange on a baking sheet and set aside.
2. Melt the remaining butter in a heavy based pan over a medium heat, stir in the flour and cook for 3 minutes without colouring, then gradually stir in the milk with a wooden spoon and simmer gently for 3-4 minutes until smooth and thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the egg yolks one at a time, then stir in the remaining Parmesan cheese with the Roquefort and walnuts. Season to taste, and set aside.
3. Whisk the egg whites in a large bowl with a pinch of salt until stiff, then beat a couple of tablespoons into the cheese mixture. Using a large metal spoon, fold in the remaining egg whites, being careful not to knock out too much air. Divide among the prepared soufflé dishes, filling each one right to the top and then scraping a knife across the top to ensure an even rise. Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until well risen and golden brown - don't be tempted to open the oven door during the cooking time as this may cause the soufflés to flop. Serve immediately.
Rate This Recipe