- Serves: 6
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Prep Time: 20 minutes plus at least 2 hrs chilling
- Effort: medium
For the Roquefort crème brulee
- 1/2 litres double cream
- 2 cloves garlic, halved
- 5 egg yolks
- 25 g caster sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground white pepper
- 200 g roquefort cheese, crumbled
- 6 dried figs, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes, drained and cut into small dice
- 4 tbsp demerara sugar
- 12 grissini, (breadsticks)
- 25 g pecans, roasted and crumbled
- cracked black pepper
For the pear salad
- 1 pear, cored and sliced
- baby mixed salad leaves
- 25 g pecans
- 4 pickled green figs, quartered (optional)
For the dressing
- 40 ml salad oil
- 40 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 40 ml white wine or chardonnay vinegar
1. For the Roquefort crème brûlée: preheat the oven to 150C/gas 2.
2. Heat the cream and garlic in a pan.
3. Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, salt and a pinch of white pepper together until pale.
4. Slowly whisk a little of the hot cream into the yolks, then add the remaining cream and strain through a sieve into a bowl. Stir in half the Roquefort cheese.
5. Divide the dried figs and the remaining Roquefort cheese amongst 6 ramekins and fill with the cream mixture.
6. Place the ramekins in a baking tin lined with a tea towel and fill with enough hot water to reach half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cook in the oven for about 50 minutes, or until set, depending on the size of the ramekins.
7. Allow to cool and then chill for at least 2 hours.
8. Top the brûlées with the demerara sugar and caramelise with a blow torch or under a very hot grill and immediately skewer with a couple of grissini broken to different lengths.
9. Mix the crumbled pecans with cracked black pepper and sprinkle over the brûlées.
10. For the pear salad: mix together the pears, salad leaves, pecans and pickled figs. Mix the dressing ingredients together and dress the salad.
11. Serve the pear and pecan salad with the Roquefort crème brûlée.
Rate This Recipe