- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Effort: medium
For the soufflé dishes
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 50 g dried breadcrumbs
For the soufflés
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp plain flour
- 35 ml milk, full-fat
- 90 g roquefort cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 egg whites
- squeeze lemon juice
1. For the soufflé dishes: paint the insides of 4 individual soufflé moulds with melted butter then coat with the dries breadcrumbs. This will help the soufflés rise.
2. For the soufflés: preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5.
3. Put the butter and flour in a pan over a medium heat. Cook stirring, for a few minutes, without letting the flour colour. Gradually add the milk, stirring. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes, stirring from time to time.
4. Remove from the heat and leave to cool a little. Add 40g of the Roquefort cheese and the egg yolk and mix well to make a smooth sauce.
5. Whisk the egg whites with a small squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt until stiff.
6. Stir a third of the egg whites into the cheese sauce to lighten the mixture, then carefully fold in the rest. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pepper and lemon juice if required.
7. Fill the soufflé moulds half way up then crumble over the remaining Roquefort. Top with more mixture. Using a spatula, hold it flat against the rim of the soufflé moulds and scrape the excess mixture away. Encircle the rim of the soufflé mould using your thumb and index finger to allow the soufflé to rise evenly.
8. Put the soufflé moulds in a baking tray half filled with boiling water. Transfer to the hot oven and cook for 7-8 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and cool the soufflés a little. Turn out of their moulds onto a baking sheet and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. Serve.
Rate This Recipe