- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Prep Time: 10 minutes plus cooling
- Effort: easy
- A good pinch of strands saffron, pounded
- 125 ml hot milk
- 2 tbsp ghee or unsalted butter
- green cardamom, bruised
- 2.5 cm cinnamon sticks
- 625g can of creamed rice
- 2-3 tbsp double cream
- 1-2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 1 tbsp shelled, unsalted pistachio nuts
- a few fresh rose petals, washed, to decorate
1. Place the pounded saffron in the milk and set aside to soak.
2. In a heavy-based saucepan melt the ghee or butter gently over a low heat. Add the cardamom pods and cinnamon. Cook stirring until the cardamom pods puff up.
3. Add the creamed rice and saffron milk to the saucepan. Bring the milk to a gentle simmer then add the cream and sugar.
4. Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 5 minutes, then remove from the heat and set aside to cool. To speed this up, stand the pan in a bowl of iced water.
5. Once the rice mixture is cold, stir in the rose water.
6. Toast the pistachio nuts quickly under a preheated grill, then crush them.
7. To serve, sprinkle the crushed pistachios over the dessert and sprinkle with the rose petals.
Rate This Recipe