- Serves: makes 12
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 150 g softened unsalted butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 100 ml milk
- 1 packets instant royal icing
- rose petals or silver balls, to decorate
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/gas 5. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with papers.
2. Using a wooden spoon, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, one by one, stirring well between each addition. If the mixture threatens to curdle, add a tablespoon of the flour to stabilise it.
3. Fold in the remaining flour, followed by the rose water. Next, start adding the milk - you may not need it all. What you want is a batter that will just fall off the spoon if you shake it a little.
4. Spoon the mixture into the muffin papers and bake in the oven until cooked through and golden, about 20 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to cool.
5. Make up a big batch of royal icing and spoon onto the cakes. Leave to set before decorating with rose petals or silver balls.
Rate This Recipe