- Serves: 4
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Effort: easy
- 2 large aubergines
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 fresh green chilli, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 4 tbsp coconut milk
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- fresh red chillies, cut into matchstick strips
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6.
2. Prick the aubergines all over with a fork and smear with a little oil. Cook for 20 minutes on a baking tray in the oven until tender. This can also be done on a charcoal grill. Remove from the heat and, when they are cool enough to handle, halve lengthways. Scoop out the flesh and blitz it to a purée in a food processor.
3. Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the mustard seeds. After a few seconds, when they start to splutter, add the chopped onions and fry until they are translucent. Stir in the ginger and the red and green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
4. Lower the heat and add the turmeric followed by the pureéd aubergine. Cook, stirring, over a low heat for 15 minutes, then add the coconut milk and stir over the heat for a further 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
5. Serve hot, garnished with fresh coriander and red chillies.
Rate This Recipe